Tribune-Review managing editor Jim Borden was a dedicated, passionate newsman who was known for his unquenchable curiosity and his desire to “comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.” He had a heart for the underdog, was demanding yet patient, and deeply committed to his craft.
Jim joined the Trib Total Media editorial staff in April 2011 following positions at newspapers in Spokane, Wash.; Coeur d’Alene, Idaho; Colorado Springs, Colo.; and Kalamazoo, Mich. Sadly, Jim passed away 7 short years later on May 14, 2018 due to complications of cancer.
Jim was the consummate professional, always focused and an inspiration to those around him to reach higher and work harder. It is our hope that, through this scholarship, Jim’s legacy will live on.
The Jim Borden Memorial Scholarship is focused on the development of young reporters, helping them grow as journalists and as people. The scholarship will award financial assistance, a paid summer internship and, ultimately, an offer for full-time employment, to Western Pennsylvania students.
Purpose: The Jim Borden Memorial Scholarship is dedicated to carrying on the tireless mission of the late Trib Total Media managing editor to inspire the next generation of journalists to pursue their work with the same unfailing passion and integrity that Jim displayed each day.
Award Components: Each year, Trib Total Media will select one Western Pennsylvania student to receive up to $30,000 in scholarship funds awarded in annual installments of up to $7,500 each. The recipient also will receive a summer internship at Trib Total Media and, upon graduation, an offer for full-time employment.
- Must be enrolled in or (if currently a high school senior) planning to attend, an accredited four-year college or university with a major in Journalism, English Writing or Communication and remain in the approved course of study through graduation.
- Primary residence must be in the Pittsburgh region, including, but not limited to Allegheny, Armstrong, Beaver, Butler, Fayette, Greene, Westmoreland or Washington counties.
- Must maintain a minimum cumulative 3.25 GPA on a 4.0 scale.
- Must complete summer internship(s) at Trib Total Media.
- Applicants must submit the following:
- A letter of application addressed to Jim Borden Memorial Scholarship Selection Committee stating intent to apply for the scholarship
- A completed application
- A copy of acceptance letter to or proof of current enrollment in an accredited 4 year college or university.
- The student’s most recent transcript showing a cumulative grade point average
- Three letters of recommendation (no family members, please)
- Three – five work samples (can be written work, photos or video)
- All applicants must:
- Participate in a personal interview with selection committee.
- Complete a writing, spelling and general knowledge exam.
Special Provisions: Scholarship funds will be issued directly to the recipient’s campus and may not be used to pay back loans of any kind.
Deadline for applications is February 29, 2020. Applications postmarked after this date will not be considered. No emailed or incomplete applications will be considered. Questions can be directed to LBerdell@tribweb.com.
DEADLINE EXTENDED! APPLY BY FEBRUARY 29, 2020.For best results, and to save progress on the form, we recommend creating an account or logging in. If you are not logged in, you will be unable to save your progress.